Sunday, May 24, 2009

Graduation- So what if I've had six glasses of champagne already?

Well, it's here. I'm finally home.
After slaving over finals for the last week in order to get them done early, I am now finished.

It feels great.

Other than Philip's graduation, which will be happening today, there have been several other festivities I've had to go to.

1. Brunch for Philip's friends.
This was fun. It was held at one of his friends houses around 11 a.m. yesterday and the food was to die for.
(That's always the best part for me with these things. Fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, watermelon and proscuitto, biscuits... mmm.)

2. Baccaleureatte
Basically a church service that was long and drawn out and of course, I wasn't dressed properly because I was under the assumption it was going to be something other than a church service.
I walked into the church wearing a neon pink, studded dress that was shorter cut and black gladiator heels. Among very conservative families, I stood out like a sore thumb.
That was embarrasing, however, I still love the dress and will continue to wear it.

3. Another party
After the baccaleureatte, another one of Philip's friends held a get-together at their house for cake and champagne. The plus side was that I got to drink for free, the down side was that I had to do it discreetly. I'm not 21 yet, and no one failed to remind me of that.

Lady: Claire, are you 21?!
Me: No, 'maam, I'm not. My parents don't mind though. It's just one glass. (Lie. It was actually the third.)
Lady: Oh well, we don't let our children drink.

Oh yeah, are those your kids sitting in the corner looking depressed as shit because everyone else is drinking but them? Sucks.

I walked away and downed my glass, while making my way toward the bar to get another.

4. Graduation Dinner
My family and our cousin's family, along with both sets of grandparents, aunts and uncles, all went out to Nick and Sams for steaks.
I ordered the $125 Surf and Turf with Philip. I figured I should make the best of it since I had been living off macaroni and cheese, pasta and pizza for the last two weeks in Savannah because I was broke and that's all I could afford.

It was worth it because the lobster was huge and the steak was cooked perfectly.
The bill came out to be a whopping $1,400.
My grandfather paid for it. I smiled and thanked him.

It's always a fun time when both of our families get together. We are very tightly knit, and my cousins are great. Caroline, my cousin, is in the same grade as Philip at E.S.D. so they'll be graduating together.

5. Graduation
This is today and currently we are all sitting around the living room drinking coffee and watching the Food Network. I have a dress that I just bought to wear to this function and hopefully it doesn't stand out as much as the neon pink one.
Who cares though, because these conservative assholes can all stick it.

"Oh, that's Claire. She's the artsy one. You know, she left E.S.D. to attend that Arts Magnet school. She's at some art college now, I don't really know which one. But what's the difference?"
Yeah, I honestly heard someone say that about me the other night.

Well, fuck you lady. Just because I didn't marry rich right out of high school and am deciding to make something of myself, which just so happens to be through an art form, doesn't mean I'm any lower than you are. We come from the same kind of families, and you know you wish you could wear this dress as well as I am right now. Too bad you can't.

Hopefully you can see why it was I had to get the hell out of that stiff ass school. I never really fit in, and unfortunately some of my classmates were at some of the functions last night because they too have siblings in Philip's class.

This explains the champagne drinking.

I tried to avoid them at all costs and will continue doing so.
Those people mean nothing to me now, and they can gossip all they want.

Screw them. I'm an artsy person and I sometimes like to wear neon pink inappropriatly to a church service and I also like to drink..

I'll be drinking tonight too at the next party...and the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment